Homemade Sweet and Sour Pork
Prep Time: 50 mins.
|1 lb pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|1 tsp salt|
|1⁄4 tsp white sugar|
|1 tsp soy sauce|
|1 egg white|
|2 green onion, chopped|
|1 qt vegetable oil, for frying|
|1⁄2 cup corn starch|
|1 tbsp vegetable oil|
|3 stalk celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|1 medium bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|1 medium onion, cut into wedges|
|1 cup water|
|1⁄4 tsp salt|
|3⁄4 cup white sugar|
|1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar|
|1⁄4 cup ketchup|
|1⁄2 tsp soy sauce|
|1 can (8 oz) pineapple chunks, undrained|
|2 tbsp corn starch|
|1⁄4 cup water|
1. Place pork in a medium bowl and season with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon sugar, and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Mix in egg white and green onions. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
2. Heat 1 quart oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C) in a large, heavy saucepan or deep fryer.
3. Coat pork with 1/2 cup corn starch and fry in the hot oil for about 10 minutes or until evenly browned. Drain on paper towels.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok over medium heat. Stir in celery, bell pepper, and onion and cook until tender. Season to taste with salt and sugar. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. In a large saucepan, mix 1 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, and 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce. Bring to a boil and stir in the cooked pork, vegetables, and pineapple chunks with juice. Return to a boil and mix in 2 tablespoons corn starch and 1/4 cup water to thicken. Cook until well blended.