Prep Time: 40 minutes
454 grams boneless pork shoulder roast (cooked and chopped fine)
122 grams cornmeal
405 ml chicken broth
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
63 grams flour
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil (for frying)
1. In a large saucepan combine pork, cornmeal, chicken broth, thyme, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
2. Reduce heat and simmer about 2 minutes or until the mixture is very thick, stirring constantly.
3. Line a loaf pan or 8x8-inch baking pan with waxed paper, letting paper extend 3-4 inches above the top of the pan.
4. Spoon pork mixture into pan.
5. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
6. Unmold; cut scrapple into squares.
7. Combine flour and pepper.
8. Dust squares with flour mixture.
9. Heat oil in large skillet on medium high.
10. Brown scrapple on both sides until golden brown.
Courtesy of the National Pork Board, Des Moines, Iowa.