Pork and Amarillo Dumplings Guisados
Prep Time: 50 minutes
1 pound pork shoulder (ground)
2 sweet plantain (really ripe, amarillos ground)
1/4 cup cilantro (recao, chopped, reserve some for garnish, optional)
1/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons soy sauce
salt (as needed)
pepper (as needed)
3 inches dumpling wrappers (diameter, as needed)
sesame oil (as needed)
onions (as needed, julienned)
red pepper (as needed, julienned
1. In a bowl mix soy sauce and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Add pork, amarillos, and recao and mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Let the mixture rest for thirty minutes in the refrigerator.
3. Place a tablespoon of the mixture into the middle of the dumpling wrapper. Rub a water around the edge and pinch the dumpling towards the top and seal. The shape should look like a beggar’s purse or a small pouch.
4. Steam or boil until the pork is cooked through.
5. Next sauté the dumplings, onions and red pepper in a hot wok with sesame oil, until dumplings are seared, and vegetables are cooked through.
6. Garnish with and serve family style.
Courtesy of the National Pork Board, Des Moines, Iowa.