American Pork Kibbeh with Sumac Crackling Fattoush
Prep Time: 30 minutes
7 1/2 lb. pork belly (and pork shoulder)
1 qt. bulghur
2 qt. water
3 cups mint
6 onions (chopped)
2 Tbsp. cumin (ground)
2 Tbsp. allspice (ground)
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. pepper
2 cups pine nuts
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
lemon wedges (As needed)
1 Tbsp. sumac (ground)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
salt (As needed)
pepper (As needed)
2 Tbsp. oil
2 English cucumbers (seeded and sliced thin on bias)
2 red onions (sliced)
2 tomatoes (diced)
1 bunch parsley (chopped)
10 bunches romaine (sliced on bias)
1 radicchio (sliced on bias)
1 endive (sliced on bias)
pork skin cracklings (as needed)
1. For the Kibbeh Cook bulgur in salted water, strain and reserve. In a food processor combine bulgur, pork belly and shoulder, and remaining ingredients until desired consistency. Form mixture into 1-oz. patties.
2. Deep fry Kibbeh patties at 350ºF for 4-5 minutes.
3. For the Sumac Dressing: Mix together all ingredients, season to taste.
4. For the Fattoush: Combine ingredients and toss with Sumac Dressing.
5. To serve Serve Kibbeh with side of Fattoush and Garnish.
Courtesy of the National Pork Board, Des Moines, Iowa.