Tacos De Carnitas
Prep Time: 105 mins.
|2 pounds pork shoulder (2” cubes)|
|1 pound pork ribs (2 bone segments)|
|1/2 white onion|
|1 clove garlic|
|1 bay leaf|
|24 white corn tortillas|
|1 cup guacamole|
|3/4 cup salsa|
|1/2 cup jalapeno chilies (Chile, en Escabeche)|
|3 lime (sliced in wedges)|
|salt (To taste)|
1. Place the pork shoulder, ribs, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and salt in a Dutch oven and cover with water.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook, covered, over medium heat until the meat is barely tender, about 45 minutes. Bring to a simmer slightly covered, until the meat is barely tender about 45 minutes.
3. Remove the cover and increase the heat to medium high and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
4. Once the meat is frying in its own fat, turn the heat down to medium-low. Let the carnitas fry until browned and crispy, about 1⁄2 hour. Remove and drain on paper towels.
5. Warm the tortillas on a seasoned comal set over medium heat. Remove and keep warm in a tortilla warmer or a kitchen towel.
6. Serve the carnitas with the warm corn tortillas, guacamole, salsa, lime wedges, and the chiles jalapen~os en escabeche.
Courtesy of the National Pork Board, Des Moines, Iowa.