Prep Time: 85 minutes
6 pounds boneless pork shoulder (cut into 2” chunks)
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 1/2 tablespoons achiote
12 ounces chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cloves
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
7 cloves garlic (smashed)
1/2 tablespoon fresh black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
3/4 tablespoon dry Mexican oregano
pickled red onions (for serving, optional)
chopped fresh cilantro (for serving, optional)
lime wedges (fresh, for serving, optional)
corn tortillas (or flour tortillas, for serving, optional)
guacamole (for serving, optional)
refried beans (for serving, optional)
crumbled Cotija cheese (for serving, optional)
1. In a bowl place diced meat and salt, toss to coat evenly.
2.In a heavy bottom skillet over medium high heat, add oil and sear the meat, cooking in batches not to overcrowd the pan.
3. In a sauce pot heat broth, orange juice and lime juice.
4. For oven – Preheat to 350F. Place meat in dutch oven or deep baking dish, add spices and hot liquid, cover with lid or foil and bake for 3.5 hours. For slow cooker - Place meat, spices, and hot liquid and cook on low for 8 hours. For Instant Pot - Place meat, spices, and hot liquid. Seal lid, press meat button increasing time to 75 minutes.
5. Remove meat and place in large container and cover with foil.
6. Transfer cooking liquid to pot and reduce by half.
7. Shred meat and add enough of the reduced cooking liquid as desired.
8.Serve warm, garnish with pickled red onions and chopped fresh cilantro, plus any additional toppings that you prefer.
Courtesy of the National Pork Board, Des Moines, Iowa.