Prep Time: 60 minutes
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup milk
35 mL cream
1 clove minced garlic
1/3 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1/4 tsp. seasoning (all-purpose)
1/2 onion (minced)
1 1/2 lb. ground pork
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley (chopped)
1 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. olive oil
1/3 cup butter (optional, for gravy)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour (optional, for gravy)
1 cup heavy cream (optional, for gravy)
2 tsp. soy sauce (optional, for gravy)
1 tsp. Dijon mustard (optional, for gravy)
salt (optional, for gravy)
black pepper (optional, for gravy)
1. Mix breadcrumbs, milk, cream, egg, garlic, salt, pepper, and seasoning in a large bowl. Let breadcrumbs soak for 10 minutes.
2. After milk has absorbed, add the minced onion, ground pork, and chopped parsley.
3. Mix with hands.
4. Roll into 24 small balls or 16 larger balls. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to help them retain shape when cooking.
5. In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 teaspoons of oil on medium-high heat. Fry two meatballs at a time until each has reached an internal temperature of 165°F and move to a warm plate and cover.
6. Gravy: Add 1/3 cup of butter to the pan and let it melt. Slowly add in the flour until it turns brown. Pour broth, cream, soy sauce, and Dijon mustard and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Mix the sauce and simmer until it is thick.
7. Place meatballs in the gravy and serve or serve the meatballs over mashed potatoes (without the gravy).
Courtesy of the National Pork Board, Des Moines, Iowa.